Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Good-Bye Again

Do you ever say good-bye to someone and think you'll never see them again? This happens quite a bit with me as I travel to many different countries and live on a ship with constant turn-over. I recently had a pleasant surprise in catching up with 2 special people I worked alongside with for two months of my life in the year 2000. And when I said good-bye to them over 5 years ago, I thought I wouldn't see them again this side of heaven .

This past weekend I went with a friend to Port Elizabeth(PE) about 3 hours from East London here in South Africa. Five years ago I did a ministry related outreach with a team of 15 for 2 months in PE. We lived in a home and worked with a wonderful ministry called Jerusalem Ministries. The couple that runs this ministry are 2 incredible people.

For the past 10 years Derrick and Diane have opened up their home to drug addicts, alcoholics, criminals under house arrest and destitute/homeless men. They provide full board and lodging and a biblically based rehabilitative program to these men as well as helping them integrate back into society with job skills.

In 10 years they have helped over 1200 men. When we stayed with them there were 19 men living in their home. I was amazed how this family has opened up their home to these men. But not only do they open up their home, they become their friend and to some, their family. They live in the same house, eat dinner together, and fellowship together. As I watched them I saw the love of Jesus for these men, sometimes tough love, but love. This is not just a project for them; it's been their way of life over the last 10 years. What an example of Jesus this was for me as well as a challenge in how I "do" ministry.

By the way, they also oversee a children's center for children who are orphaned through Aids, a training program for adults to help them run their own business, many feeding schemes in Walmer Township where 32,000 meals are provided each month through local creches (pre-schools), a poultry project and are starting some new ministries.


May God bless you and sustain you Derrick and Diane! Good-bye for now or until we meet again!

5 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenni,

I tried clicking on the "Where are we now?" link in your sidebar, and the three times I tried it my browser crashed. And I'm running Firefox on Linux, so it's hard to make my browser crash!

Is it just me?

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Jenni said...

Joe, I'm not sure what could be the problem with the link. I clicked on it and it seems to work. Is anybody else having a problem with it?

jojo,(hey, joe and jojo, isn't that cute!)
It is so true, when we do get to see special people again here on earth there is such joy, to think it will be so much more when we see them in heaven. I can't wait!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Erin said...

All I can say is...wow!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Molly & the boys said...

that is way fun.
I was able to see where you are now - if you are in east london, that is!
missing you Jenni - glad you enjoyed the pictures of the boys - i should have back to school pictures up soon!
lots of love,
Molly

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger M. Akamau said...

Jenni,
Good to see you are doing well, and able to see again friends you once had to say good bye to. I really enjoyed reading about Derrick and Diane. I pray God continues to bless them and their amazing ministry.

Peace,
Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home