Wednesday, July 27, 2005

"The Hunger that is Silent"

I've been following the food crisis in Niger and as I read the articles I'm in a state of disbelief.

According to this timeline the crisis was predicted long ago.

"As lots of children start to starve, the top United Nations aid official says the crisis could have been averted if action had been taken earlier. "

"We have made an appeal since November and told the international community... We did not have any response."

"The world wakes up when we see images on the TV and when we see children dying.
We have received more pledges in the past week than we have in six months. But it is too late for some of these children."

150,000 children could die unless they get help soon. And according to
Oxfam, "Families are feeding their children grass and leaves from the trees to keep them alive."

Can we as followers of Jesus allow this to continue without responding in some way?

Another BBC news article says, "We came across one child, five months into this world and barely clinging on to life."

"Our harvest failed and we have no food. It is the choice of God," said his mother.

How sad to have the belief that this is the choice of God, to have a hopelessness like this mother.

"It all shows quite clearly that Africa is easily forgotten until, yet again, it is too late."


One way to help is to donate through World Vision or other reputable organizations working in West Africa.

Please continue to
pray for the people of Niger.

7 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger M. Akamau said...

Excellent post...we need this reminder. And thanks for showing us HOW we can help. As Christians, we shouldn't hesitate to respond.

Peace in Him,
Michele

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

Thanks for your comment on my site. What you're doing is wonderful. West Africa is so needy isn't it. I hope a lot of people do respond to this idea that Garth has on emerging blurb.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Apostle John said...

Thanks for this post! I'm making my donation tonight!

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jenni, thanks for posting on this subject. i have a question about an issue you bring up. what alternative is there for those who are struck by this disaster, as christians or of another faith, than to believe that it is god's will for this to happen? i agree that this is sad, but i am wondering about how you think this fits in, to the question of "god's will." i'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this as you try to make sense of it all. thanks and good luck,
isa

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to go aboard the Anastasis for a while now after graduation, but I'm kind of on a stumbling block. I was wondering if maybe you could give me more information about everything it entails to volunteer your time and basically life aboard the ship. It would be much appreciated if I could get as much information as possible! Thank you, and good luck! You're fulfilling a dream of mine as we speak, and it's a relief to hear the adventures of someone else who has taken an interest in helping others!

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Jenni said...

Isa- Thanks for your question. "As you try to make sense of it all" is the key for me. I know I can't make sense of it all. I don't know why people are starving in Niger, I don't know why innocent people are suffering. But I do know that the God I serve is good and loving. For me, seeing the poverty all around me and trying to make sense of it all, this is the one thing I know without a doubt. I am not a theolgian and many others could probably explain this better but I can tell you that I have hope in God. It grieves me to see the hopelessness that so many people have as they believe everything that happens in this world is in God's plan.

Danielle- I tried to link to your site but am unable to get there. You may email me at vesselofmercy2005@yahoo

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isa - you raise a great question and I would agree with Jenni's comments. Sometimes God's will is impossible to figure out. Isaiah 55:8,9 refers to God's ways by saying 'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts higher than your thoughts.' I think instead of asking if it is God's will for these people to suffer in this way, maybe we ought to ask what is God's will towards them and the parable of the good Samaritan might help with that. This can be found in Luke 10:25-37. Here we find Jesus telling a lawyer about the greatest commandment to 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strentgth and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself'. Jesus then tells of a man in need and how a Samaritan saw his need and met it. Jesus then refers to the Samaritan as being a neighbor and tells us to 'Go and do likewise'. Hope this helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home