Saturday, May 14, 2005

Perspective

Living here in Liberia I have many opportunities to think about my perspective on situations and try to see them in the light of other people's. Yesterday I was frustrated because of different situations, all seem so minor now I am embarrassed to even put them in writing. Even though I live in a developing world with poverty and sickness all around it is easy for me to get wrapped up in "me" and my problems. Gaining perspective is one way to get out of the selfishness I choose to live in at times.

For the past couple of weeks I have been teaching an adult literacy class and am really enjoying it. There are 17 participants in the class and it has been a pleasure teaching them. It's a great joy to see adults of all ages get excited when they can begin to read words and learn how to write letters of the alphabet. This past week I've received a bag of mangoes, a bag of oranges and dried plantains from different students who struggle to live on a $1 a day. This is their equivalent of giving the teacher an apple. They have a great desire to learn and wouldn't think of missing one of the classes that meets 3 days a week.

And then there's Neta.

I noticed Neta the first day and realized immediately that there was something different about this young lady (my guess she is around 16 years old). Neta was unresponsive whenever anyone talked with her. She struggled to write the letter 'i' and still does after 2 weeks of classes. She doesn't seem to want to be in the class. I knew mentally that there was something wrong with her and tried to give her attention without holding back the rest of the class.

Yesterday I heard Neta's story from one of the other teachers. She was like any other 8 year old trying to do her best during a bloody civil war. Then the rebels captured her father and made her watch as they cut off his head. From that point on she has been like she is today. There is no opportunity for counseling or therapy, she is coping the way her mind knows how.

I gave Neta a ride home yesterday and she lives very simply with her Mom. There is no electricity or running water anywhere in the capital city of Monrovia. Like others, they struggle to find their next meal.

I went back to my home and walked onto the air-conditioned ship, took a shower with soap and clean water, went into the dining room and got a warm meal already prepared for me, took it back to my cabin and cried.

Perspective...

"I have seen violence done to the helpless, and I have heard the groans of the poor. Now I will rise up to rescue them, as they have longed for me to do."
Psa 12:5

7 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger M. Akamau said...

Oh, dear heart, I am crying with you. My heart is so burdened, and I am not even seeing what you see from day to day. I wish this weren't so...I wish things were different. Oh, how I long for them to be different SO much. I am praying for this girl, and also for you, too.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger The Reeds in the Wind said...

Hello Jenni--

So good to hear from you as you walk this journey. Now that I know of you, I will keep in in my prayers and read your story with great interest. You may already know this, but you are not alone.

Bob and the Reeds

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenni,

Just wanted you to know that I read this to the community here today. Well written!

Patrik

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Molly & the boys said...

Oh, Jenni. There are no words.

Love to you,
Molly

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger barefeetbilly said...

You are reaching lots of folk Jenni!
Check out sites linking to you here Technorati.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Stumbled across all this as well as your flickr, and was moved tramendously. Your journey is one of great grace, humility and compassion. Continue with the heart God has given you and you will continue to show abundantly His grace and be their "picture" of God. What an awesome journey!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

Thank you all for your encouragement, it is received. I am humbled at the opportunities God has given me and my prayer is to do His will in each one. Thanks again to those I know well and to new friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home