Monday, February 28, 2005

Delays

"Waiting may seem in the way of us getting to where we want to go. But many times, it is through waiting that the sight of a truer destination appears." -Duke Rohe

If you haven't figured it out yet, I live on a ship. This former cruise ship is anything but that now. The Anastasis (Greek for resurrection) was built over 50 years ago. I have lived here almost 6 of those years and it has become my home. But my home has been showing its age for some time now. I am constantly amazed how God uses this broken down vessel (sounds like a good sermon illustration in there). From busted pipes to broken down engines, this ship always seems to have something leaking or not working.

The latest is one of the generators. This affects all 350 of us (no air conditioning). The generator has to be repaired before sailing, the part has to come from Asia and the biggest obstacle is yet to come, getting it through customs in French West Africa.

Change of plans.

We did not set sail Saturday as what was stated in our original itinerary. We were sailing to Ghana to have a break for a week before sailing to Liberia to begin our field service in the war-torn country.

We still are taking a break but staying here in Benin. Personally, I am happy to stay here longer but I do know if it is much longer it will affect many people in Liberia.

We have been delayed more times than I can remember and many times I find myself asking the Lord, "What does this mean?" "Are you trying to tell us something?". And other times I realize that maybe it doesn't have to have some deep, spiritual meaning except to know that the Lord is faithful in all circumstances.

So, I figure my responsibility in all of this is to wake up each morning and ask the Lord to help me to be faithful today with what He has given me and what His Spirit shows me, wherever I am.

I would appreciate your prayers that the parts would arrive in a timely manner and for the engineers who will have to work through the night for a week once the parts arrive.

More to come......

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenni - It's Bonnie Hess here. Sorry about the delays. I know that is frustrating especially in the heat! God must have something else for you to do where you are. I, too, am proud of your folks! I know that they will be a great help to the people south of here who are totally frustrated as well. Just for fun, go to GearFab Records and to catalog and to Jonathan and Charles and you will see the re-release of Chuck and John Guest's "ahead of its time" Christian album. God can still use old things!! Take care and drop me a line at at school or at home.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Molly & the boys said...

Jenni - I hate waiting - I guess that is why God has me do so much of it! I guess eventually I might get good at it! Glad you are up and writing again. I love hearing how you are doing. Makes us seem not so far apart!
love you lots,
Molly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home