Tuesday, February 22, 2005

What Can You Do??

Many times I look around me and think about all the things that I can't do to help people, it can be overwhelming. I try to re-focus and look at what I can do with God's help. And I realize that is the question I should be asking myself, "what can I do?". Am I being faithful with what God has given me?

I just received an email from a couple who are working in Punta Gorda, Florida helping the people who are still suffering from the active hurricane season last year. They have taken a camper down there for a few weeks to work with the North American Mission Board. What I find extraordinary is these two people. He just turned 69 today, his wife is in her late 60's too. She is an amputee(leg), who gets around in a wheelchair or on crutches, and has suffered from severe phantom pains for over 20 years until recently when she had a pain pump installed. The pain was so severe in the last few years it had kept her bed ridden at times.
"This is not like a toothache or a headache - it is real, excruciating, undescrible pain that she describes as feeling like being stabbed by hot knives or stung by millions of bees. "

He is helping rebuild a house for an elderly lady, she is doing counseling. They both are working in a food bank 2 days a week. I see them as being faithful with what God has given them and not focusing on what they can not do(because of their age and physical limitations) but on what they CAN do.

Mom and Dad, I'm proud of you!

Galatians 6:10 So then, while we have the opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially those who are of the household of the faith.(empahsis mine)

4 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello I have just been checking out your blog! Great to see you and hear how you are doing.

Take care

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

S-P
Great to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you are doing well, you're missed around here.

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenni! It's Leslie Troutman--I was just checking out your blog (I've been hearing about these, but this is my first visit to one). It's awesome to read about what God's doing in your life!

I'm finally GOING! I leave for China in August! I'll be teaching English with English Language Institute. I'm excited--I'll be checking your site for wisdom!

Leslie

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

Leslie, It's so good to hear from you. That's exciting news about going to China. It seems like yesterday that you were in youth group. I remember praying for you about missions.
May God bless you with all you need as you prepare to go. Keep in touch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home