Monday, April 24, 2006

Bassa Man, Bassa Woman

Jim and I had a great time together the past 2 weeks. He has returned to the States where I will follow in less than 2 weeks.

On Jim's first full day we traveled to the village of Joe Bar where I was starting a new class but also checking up on the
class I started in February. I was eager to see them since it had been a few weeks since turning it over to the local teachers. And I wanted them to meet Jim.

We greeted the class and then went across the hall to start the new class. After about an hour, Jim and I were summoned to my old class. Esther, the participant who's the class leader, told Jim to sit down and then two of the students took me to another room. They had made a beautiful African outfit for me. When they finished dressing me, Jim was brought into the room. The two women pulled out a matching shirt for him. When we returned to the classroom in our new attire, there was a lot of cheering, "Bassa (a local tribe) woman and Bassa man". It was truly an honor that they went to all this trouble, not even knowing for sure that Jim would be there that day. The outfits were well made and of fine material, I was overwhelmed by their kindness and generosity. Last year I was given a Bassa name that I go by when I'm working, it's Janjay, meaning grace. The students decided Jim needed a Bassa name too. Garjay (not sure of the spelling) which means "Man business". Hmmm, I may need further clarification on that one.

Class in Joe Bar

1 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all are doing a wonderful job. I also hav a website in Minnesota and I have been carrying the story of Mercy....


MERCY, THE MORNING WITH MARTHALINE
23-03-2006


About two months ago, The BC highlighted the story of a Liberian by the name of Harrison who had a cancerous growth in his mouth. The story was widely read and an email was sent to the journalist who took the pictures and wrote the story. Yesterday evening, I received an email from Scott. He explains in this story how they have again made another Liberian smile. Read Scott's story from Monrovia. You may want to help Marthaline someday.

http://www.bushchicken.com/news.php?arcyear=2006&arcmonth=3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home