Saturday, April 09, 2005

Promise

I recently posted on our medical screenings here and here .

Mercy Ships medical staff is able to help many people that don't have access to medical care. Unfortunately, we are unable to help everyone. It is heart-breaking when you have to tell that person, "I'm sorry but our doctors are unable to help in this situation". Some have spent all they have to travel to the city and I have heard more times than I care to count from those seeking help, "you were my last hope".

This past screening I was outside with the people waiting in line to see the doctors. This is where I met Promise, a young mother, and her 6 month old baby, B.K. B.K has a condition called
encephalocele, protrusion of brain tissue through a congenital fissure in the skull . I have seen this condition at many screenings and I hate telling these mothers that we can't perform this type of surgery.

Promise said that we were her last hope. What do you tell a mother when you know her first child will probably die within a few months? I still don't know the answer to that, all I knew to do was sit and cry with her. Promise is a believer and knows God can heal, and we prayed for that but it doesn't take away the pain that a mother must feel.

I went to visit Promise in her home last week. She was surprised to see me and even more surprised that I was able to find her house when I just knew the area she lived in and her name. God divinely put people in my path to ask and help.

B.K looks strong but his head is getting bigger from the fluid on the skull. Promise knows that B.K doesn't have much longer to live. I plan on visiting her more often. I once heard someone speak on the "Ministry of Presence" and I feel that's what God has called me to do at this time, just be there. Your prayers for Promise, her husband, and B.K would be appreciated.

5 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger M. Akamau said...

Absolutely, Jenni. I am praying for them right now, and I am thankful to God for your presence with them.

Michele

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also will pray for them. I can not imagine what it must be like to know there is nothing you can do for this child to fix what is wrong. I will also pray for you and all on the ship. God has given you all such big hearts and he has filled them. I thank him for that. You will ALL be in my prayers!

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been in touch through the internet with a Pastor from the Liberian Evengelical Lutheran church for over a year now. His wife is trying so very hard to find materials to help teach those who can not read or write. They, with their children, live in a refugee camp in Harbel and the pastor goes to an internet cafee in Monrovia from time to time to speak with me. I have been trying so hard to get some help for them in the way of food and other needs. I am now in the process of trying to bring this pastor for a three month visit to the U.S. so that he can speak to our churches here and gain the trust needed for support since we haven't any missions in Liberia at present from our denomination. It is hard going but I'm praying that if it's God's will, we will be able to get this done for them.
His wife and children will be cared for by her father should the pastor be able to come and a replacement I'm sure has been readied by the pastor until his return.
It was the only way I could think of to help them. If no one was going to send anyone to them, then I finally decided to bring him to the help.
I'm just wondering, do you have materials to help those who already know how to read and write so they can teach others? If so, how would they go about contacting you for this?
I can give you any information you might need on any of this. I do believe they are not far from where your ship is docked. This pastor and his family are such beautiful, loving and gentle people.
Please let me know if there's anything you can do in the way of learning, teaching materials for them.
Thank you so much for any information you could help me with on their account. God bless you in all you are doing.
Also, sorry I'm siging without any name here...smile. I still have to sign up for that I think and I got reading instead and taken away with wanting to hurry and post some replies.
My name is Sheri. Nice to meet you!

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing. Since I did post in another place on here about the 'zoe' society, I should tell you that recently the pastor from Harbel told me they are all having to be extra safe because of some killings that have been happening recently in that area. Please be careful since I don't know what all is involved or who they choose. I worry so for the pastor and his family and church, now I will probably worry for all of you as well....I know God is in control but my human self still worries for others. God bless, Sheri

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

sheri,

I have not looked back on this post for some time now and just read your letter. If you see this please contact me again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home