Thursday, March 31, 2005

a voice for those who cannot speak...

I have been keeping up with all the news on Terri Shiavo. Personally, I agree with the president's statement on this one, when there is so much doubt on what she wanted in regards to living in the state she is in then we should err on the side of human life. I think it's good that there is so much press and blog posts on this issue. Christians in the US and beyond are getting involved through writing, protesting, praying, and/or demanding that the government get involved. For me, it is good to see the church take a strong stand on this issue.

But my question is what about all the people starving to death in other parts of the world? Shouldn't the Christians be protesting, praying, writing on this too? Some do but not to the degree I see for Terri. Shouldn't we demand our government get involved by changing our trade policies that literally cause people to starve to death? Is it just the people in the US that we should be a voice for or is it for the whole world?

I am deeply moved about what is happening to Terri. I am outraged at the injustice, I just wish that the passion and engagement I see (from the church) with this one person would carry over to the thousands of people that starve to death every day because of the decisions of man.

1 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger M. Akamau said...

Oh Jenni...I deeply share your heart on this. Thank you for saying this! Now that we know --- through what Terri endured amidst press coverage and protests --- that starvation is REAL, how will we respond to those starving to death in our world? Or do we just care about Americans? If Terri's death was an injustice and if we were outraged by the way she died, then let's be impacted enough to change our behavior, to change our minds and even our lives to help stamp out the injustice of starvation around the world.

Peace,
Michele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home