Thursday, March 24, 2005

Liberia: Impressions, Thoughts and IDP Camps


Currently I am in Liberia. This is the first time the ship has visited this country, a country that has been at war for 14 years. Think about that. Children who are under 16 years old only have lived life in the midst of a war, they know nothing else. This was not just any war but a bloody civil war where there are no rules. It doesn't matter if you were a woman, child, or non-combatant, they killed at random.

It is too difficult for me to write about all the things going on in my head right now about this country. So I will attempt to make short posts as I go along. So much of it seems unreal until I go out into the streets and see all the bullet holes in lightposts, signs, and buildings, until I meet people and hear their stories.

The war has ended but so much more needs to be done. There is no electricity or running water in the country, even in the capital of Monrovia. Because of the war many people had to flee their homes. Some go to other countries while others go to IDP (Internally Displaced Persons) camps. I have read estimates from 500,000 to 800,000 people were displaced due to the war. The aerial photo is of some IDP camps in Liberia.

Our photographer on the ship,
Scott, has captured images of one place that people have made into a home to temporarily live out their daily lives. Check it out:
Monrovia's former luxury hotel Intercontinental. Now home to 1,500 displaced persons


Please pray for the efforts taking place now to assist people to get back to their homes or start new ones. You can read about what took place this week here and about other efforts on ReliefWeb.

3 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger M. Akamau said...

Jenni,
Thanks for your comment on my blog --- I'm glad to have found your blog (and Scott's, too)! I am incredibly thankful and humbled for the work you are doing there. My prayers are with you, dear sister.

Peace,
Michele

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jenni,
I have been captivated by Liberia for some time now. I've also been speaking with and trying hard to help a pastor, his family and congregation in Harbel, Liberia.
I made a website but since I didn't really have the money for a .com, nor did I know much about making a site, I believe God helped me put the pieces together. I'm still trying hard to find backing to take in donations and praying that will happen soon so that the site can work the way I'm hoping it will.
I was so happy to see that you and the ship you are on have gone to Liberia. I know you have been and continue to be a great blessing to these people through Christ our Lord.
God bless you all in all you do and I pray for your safety as I know times are very hard in West Africa.
May God be with you and keep you always in His Mighty, Loving Hands!

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should say here that the pastor and his family as well as his congregation do live in a refugee camp. They consider it a blessing if they recieve a bowl of rice a day.
I think many in the U.S. and other countries like ours can't even begin to imagine what it's like to live in these conditions. I wish more people were like you and those you work with.
I'm also praying that any new governmetn they have come into office in October, is an honest one for the sake of all of Liberia. I'm praying that someone with faith in Christ would be the one to become president of Liberia. I know all too well though that many who are even in the running right now are unfortunately not what Liberia needs. There is so much to pray for and about for this country as well as our world. I know God sees all.
God bless you, God bless you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home